Here’s who didn’t support Pelosi’s re-election.
Sadly, it looks like Nancy Pelosi will get to serve another term as the Speaker of the House but the vote was not unannimous.
Five Democrats chose not to vote for Pelosi but it still didn’t make a difference.
According to the Washington Examiner the five who didn’t vote for Pelosi were:
- Rep. Jared Golden of Maine cast his vote for Illinois Sen. Tammy Duckworth. (The speaker of the House does not technically need to be a member of the House.)
- Rep. Connor Lamb of Pennsylvania voted New York Rep. Hakeem Jeffries.
- Rep. Mikie Sherrill of New Jersey voted “present.”
- Rep. Elissa Slotkin of Michigan voted “present.”
- Rep. Abigail Spanberger of Virginia voted “present.”
Surprisingly, Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) and Cori Bush (D-MO) caused a scene when they waited for the last minute to vote for Pelosi which sealed her nomination after weeks of leaving people in suspense over who they were going to support.
Republicans who attended the vote unanimously voted for House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy to be the speaker.
The final tally was 216 votes for Nancy Pelosi, 209 for Kevin McCarthy, one for Tammy Duckworth, one for Hakeem Jeffries, and three voting present.
Let us know your thoughts in the comments below…